Friday, April 24, 2009

Skanda Save our Souls

I wish I was not part of this global mess and the Tamil nonsense going around. In my previous post, I mentioned that I shall write about SkandaVale, my trip and my feelings, thoughts. I am so sad at my heart and thoughts when I look to the images of sea and human sea in North east Sri Lanka.

I wanted to express my thoughts as how Skandan or Lord Murugan a Tamil God is reigning in Wales (Part of UK), where as Tamils have been led into this gory war. We had a lot to say about us as a race (though I strongly condemn any race based support or theories); Tamils were the one to write best of most subjects and today we beg for food and shelter.

As a humanitarian disaster is awaiting, I am going to blame no one but just us. 'Thirukural' classic couplets of wisdom - were from Tamil, many many works and many many achievements were part of our tradition - Today we are what we are. This goes for any set of humans - when Gandhi showed us the way of peaceful protests, we took war, when People gave us chances, we ignored them - when others followed our theology, we threw them away, when world benefited from our experience, we shut our eyes and ears to our own folktales - so we are where we are today.

Please let us stop blaming others. At this hour, I wish history repeats again - Similar to the Kalinga War, let us see the carnage we have unleashed on ourselves, let us become the king Ashoka and seek peace.

I quote from the Edicts of Ashoka (Rock 13):

"Ashoka had seen the bloodshed with his own eyes. He felt that he was the cause of the destruction.

Ashoka's response to the Kalinga War is recorded in the Edicts of Ashoka. According to some of these (Rock Edict XIII and Minor Rock Edict I), the Kalinga War prompted Ashoka, already a non-engaged Buddhist, to devote the rest of his life to Ahimsa (non-violence) and to Dhamma-Vijaya (victory through Dhamma). Following the conquest of Kalinga, Ashoka ended the military expansion of the empire, and led the empire through more than 40 years of relative peace, harmony and prosperity.

Beloved-of-the-Gods, King Priyadarsi, conquered the Kalingas eight years after his coronation. One hundred and fifty thousand were deported, one hundred thousand were killed and many more died (from other causes). After the Kalingas had been conquered, Beloved-of-the-Gods came to feel a strong inclination towards the Dhamma, a love for the Dhamma and for instruction in Dhamma. Now Beloved-of-the-Gods feels deep remorse for having conquered the Kalingas."

No comments:

Post a Comment