Sunday, July 15, 2007

Vaaji Vaaji!

Thousands of blogs, thousands of reviews, thousands of comments - the tide has not fallen down: yep about Sivaji - 'The Boss' few like Anuradha SenGupta of CNN-IBN came out with a stark review.

Just rewinding back to my college days - I used to be an ardent Kamal Hassan fan boldly facing the outnumbering Rajini Fan club... I have to mention this incident... 1997 i was preparing for my Master's exams and the local Rajini Fan club blared music on his birthday (12 - Dec); i cannot forget this... The blaring songs at 5:30 AM irritated me to such an extent, i dared those guys and my parents kept me in check - lest it became a big problem around the locale... I used to hate Rajini & co to such an extent... I still disapprove such a mad following... but years passed on...

I don't fancy calling myself a fan of any actor - may be my age or my exposure to global cinemas - French, Spanish and a few other cine craps... 'Things changed'. I was in US of A when 'B to the A to the B to the A' - BABA released; My sister, bil & co we payed around 10$ each and waded through the hyper charged fellow Indian fans, managed to get a few seats in the 4th row from front!!! Watched the movie in such a disbelief - the movie a big flop; but what i disbelieved was the Indian fan's behavior in a foreign land - ignoring the Gora shaming us etc...

I think i actually learned something... hey its an entertainment, its meant to be fun and can be enjoyed as long as its okay to your neighbours... coming back to Sivaji:

I was actually awaiting the release - long queues (in fact theatre staff sold snacks in the interval - within the screen premises) the brits would have not seen such a fanfare - third day after release we made it! everyone enjoyed the fanfare, people around me were talking about their college day rajini releases; other rajini related movies - which director directed him the best; why he is such a great person, his religious attitude etc etc etc... I can't believe myself - a man who used to hate Rajini & co, awaits for Sivaji release!? (partly due to the media hype)

As people did, i too found loopholes in story etc, but truly enjoyed the movie - 100% entertainment. I enjoyed the mail forwards about people queuing in 'Bangaluru' PVR theatres; How tax people were reaping entertainment tax benefits; corporates sponsoring gold class tickets to their star employees; rajini's salary and what not...

Just think for a moment about Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings and other magical, mystical movies - going rounds, why not Sivaji - it may have many holes, less of logic but it was truly an entertainer - our armchair critics like Anuradha should do a sense check and see CNN-IBNs reviews on Harry Potters! Also people need to unwind and keep away the learning - should go for entertainers rather than finding faults...

friends c'mon: go on throw away your masks and have fun - unwind yourself and watch Sivaji the Boss!

No comments:

Post a Comment